Subject: INFO: Getting the Office 97 Developer Editions Tools now that Office
2000 is out
(Originally posted 11/22/99)
After many people have complained about the difficulty in obtaining the ODE 97, I thought
it would be useful to post this. The problem is that Microsoft allows vendors and
distributors to return the old version software when the new version comes out. But
they still have a procedure for obtaining the old version. Here is the full procedure:
The total reported price for the ODE 97 was $20.58 (USD). And Scott Hughes reported
receiving it in just over a week from step #2, above.
- Purchase the Microsoft Office Developer Edition for 2000 (MOD 2000). You cannot
get around this step, sorry. :-(
- Call MS Sales Desk: 1-800-360-7561 in the US, or call your local Microsoft
subsidiary if you are outside the US (obviously the next few steps might change a
- Select menu choice #1 ("to purchace replacement disks or suplements")
- Select menu choce #1 ("talk to a representative")
- Request the "Office 97 Developer's Edition downgrade"
- The rep will ask you for the product number from you O2k DevEdition
Special thanks to Steve Young and Scott Hughes for blazing the trail for this
procedure in the comp.databases.ms-access
UPDATE 12/14/1999: Because you may only need to use the Jet Synchronizer, the above
steps are not really an ideal solution for all people. Because of this, the Jet
Synchronizer files are now included as a part of the TSI Synchronizer download for the
Jet 3.5 version. See the TSI Synchronizer download
page for details!
Problems with this site? Please contact the
with your comments, questions, or suggestions.